This is what I know this week in regards to Christmas…. 44 Days today and Counting!
This weeks is a special one for me, I know that this is a special tradition that we have which is close to my heart and one that I feel very strongly about.
Operation Christmas Child is run by Samaritan’s Purse and they have been operating out of Australia since 1995. Each year this not-for-profit organisation has been organising, collating and giving gifts to needy Children who otherwise wouldn’t get anything for Christmas.
I know that we are really blessed to live in a country where we have an abundance of food, clean water and a safe place to sleep, that its the little things we do like help out a person in need that makes us special.
Since starting Operation Christmas Child in the United States back in 1970, they have delivered Christmas boxes to 77 million children in 130 countries! Thats nearly 1,878,000 boxes a year!
Imagine when a child opens a box of specially hand chosen gifts by yourself, just beautiful in my opinion! I know that when a child receives a special present lovingly wrapped by a adult, the look on their little faces is just a blessing. I know that I have a really giving nature and love to see that the present that I choose is something that my children/husband/family/friend/loves.
It doesn’t cost much time/effort/money to be able to create a Christmas Child gift box, so why not do this with your children this year!?
- SOMETHING TO LOVE
Teddy bear, doll, soft toy, etc.
- SOMETHING FOR SCHOOL
Exercise book, pencil case, pens, pencils, colouring pencils, sharpener, eraser, chalk, etc.
- SOMETHING TO WEAR
T-shirt, shorts, underwear, cap, beanie, sandals, thongs, etc.
- SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH
Tennis ball, cars, skipping rope, marbles, musical instrument, yo-yo, slinky, finger puppets, wind up torch, etc. (No battery operated items)*
- SOMETHING FOR PERSONAL HYGIENE
Soap and face washer, toothbrush, hairbrush, comb, hair-clips, scrunchies, etc.(No toothpaste)*
- SOMETHING SPECIAL
Carry bag, sunglasses, bangles, necklaces, craft kits, stickers, note or photo of yourself.
- ITEMS THAT LEAK OR MELT – (these can spoil boxes) including toothpaste, shampoo, bubbles, plasticine/play dough and batteries
- FOOD OR LOLLIES OF ANY KIND – (due to customs regulations) including medicines and vitamins
- ANY USED OR DAMAGED ITEMS – (due to customs regulations) including worn clothing and old toys
- ANY BREAKABLE ITEMS – including glass, porcelain and mirrors
- ANY ITEM THAT CAN SCARE OR HARM A CHILD – including knives, war-related toys and toy guns
- ANY GAMBLING-RELATED ITEMS – including play money, playing cards and dominoes
- ANYTHING OF A RELIGIOUS, RACIAL OR POLITICAL NATURE